5.15.2012

this is happening.



CONGRATULATIONS!!! 
We would like to congratulate you on being one of 7400 runners selected for the 2012 St George Marathon. We will be hosting runners from all 50 states and 18 countries. We would like to thank you for your interest in our event and we look forward to seeing each of you cross the finish line Saturday October 6th!



and let me assure you, no one is more surprised than i am.

if you would have told my two-year-ago-self that i would be running the st. george marathon in 2012,
i would have laughed till i cried.

truly.

i've always thought marathons, and the people who run them, were downright silly.

i mean, who honestly does that to their body, on purpose?
it's outright madness.

but, over the past couple of years, i've gotten to know running a little better.
and truth be told, she's not the hideous beast i once made her out to be.

i'll let you in on my little secret if you want to stop hating running too.

paper out, pencils up...

you must run farther than three miles.

that's it.

the first three miles are the worst.
the worst.

your body is screaming at you, wondering what in the world you are making it do.
your breathing is labored and each step feels heavier than the last.

but, something magical happens for me after that three-mile-mark.
your body finally realizes, "okay this is happening...so let's make the best of it."

your muscles loosen up, your breathing becomes anaerobic and you get into a real rhythm.

and dare i say?

it feels amazing!

pushing my body to do things it's never done before is exhilarating.
and you know what?

our bodies are amazing.

they are capable of so much more than we can imagine in our mind.

**the trick is getting your mind to simply trust in the strength of your body.**

i saw this inspirational quote on facebook the other day and it really resonated with me.


STOP BEING AFRAID OF WHAT COULD GO WRONG
AND START BEING POSITIVE ABOUT WHAT COULD GO RIGHT


sure, i still think marathons are crazy.

and yes, i know it will be the hardest thing i'll ever do.

but, why not try?

i've got nothing to lose...

but a few pounds. ;)
...

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Wow. just wow. I am amazed by marathon runners. I've run my whole life off and on...a mile here and a mile there, but I can't even fathom 26.2! Congrats on being chosen and good luck with the training!

Chanda said...

high five!

Gisela said...

I am so impressed! If I thought you were superwoman already, now I *know*!! What a wonderful way you described that "pushing your body to do things it's never done before..." You may have inspired something over here in Boston. Will let you know!

The Venutis said...

That must be my problem...I never make it past the 3.5 mile mark. : ) Congrats. I'm way excited for you.